By Phil Rosen via Business Insider
- Reuters reported that China told state-owned banks to get ready to sell dollars and buy yuan in an effort to prop up the local currency.
- The move could stem the yuan’s fall, as it remains on track for its largest annual loss against the dollar since 1994.
- A hawkish Fed has pushed the dollar to 20-year highs this year, pressuring currencies around the world.
The People’s Bank of China has told major state-run banks to prepare to shed dollar holdings while snapping up offshore yuan, which has continued to fall despite prior interventions, sources told Reuters.
The scale of this latest effort to prop up the yuan will be big and could provide a floor to the Chinese currency, according to the report.
The amount of dollars to be sold hasn’t been decided yet, but Reuters said it will primarily involve the state banks’ currency reserves. Their offshore branches, including those based in Hong Kong, New York and London, were ordered to review offshore yuan holdings and check to see that dollar reserves are ready.
On Thursday, the yuan fell 0.9% to 7.1340 against the dollar and is on track for its worst annual decline since 1994, having lost more than 11% so far this year. Earlier this week, China’s offshore yuan this week depreciated to a record-low against the greenback, and its domestic unit fell to its weakest level since the 2008 financial crisis.
More From The Real Estate Guys…
- Sign up for The Real Estate Guys™ New Content Notifcations
- Check out all the great free info in our Special Reports library.
- Don’t miss an episode of The Real Estate Guys™ radio show. Subscribe on iTunes or Android or YouTube!
- Stay connected with The Real Estate Guys™ on Facebook, and our Feedback page.
The Real Estate Guys™ radio show and podcast provides real estate investing news, education, training, and resources to help real estate investors succeed.
Broadcasting since 1997 with over 600 episodes on iTunes!
Love the show? Tell the world! When you promote the show, you help us attract more great guests for your listening pleasure!