The NAHB survey of homebuilder sentiment fell for the 5th straight month in May to its lowest since June 2020… but has a long way to go to catch down to homebuyer sentiment…
All 3 of the underlying indices tumbled:
- Measure of present single family sales falls to 78
- Future single family sales gauge fell to 63 vs 73
- Prospective buyers traffic measure fell to 52 vs 61
“The housing market is facing growing challenges,” Robert Dietz, chief economist at the NAHB, said in a statement.
“Building material costs are up 19% from a year ago, in less than three months mortgage rates have surged to a 12-year high and based on current affordability conditions, less than 50% of new and existing home sales are affordable for a typical family. Entry-level and first-time home buyers are especially bearing the brunt of this rapid rise in mortgage rates.”
By region, builder sentiment declined in all regions except the Northeast.
More From The Real Estate Guys…
- Sign up for The Real Estate Guys™ Free Newsletter
- Check out all the great free info in our Special Reports library.
- Don’t miss an episode of The Real Estate Guys™ radio show. Subscribe on iTunes or Android or YouTube!
- Stay connected with The Real Estate Guys™ on Facebook, and our Feedback page.
The Real Estate Guys™ radio show and podcast provides real estate investing news, education, training, and resources to help real estate investors succeed.
Broadcasting since 1997 with over 600 episodes on iTunes!
Love the show? Tell the world! When you promote the show, you help us attract more great guests for your listening pleasure!