Memphis Market Report
There are two main reasons we like Memphis: Cash Flow. And, Cash Flow!
Or is that one reason? And though it isn’t the only
major market with nice cash flow, it’s one of the best.
But there are other reasons to like Memphis. And after many field trips to Memphis, virtually everyone we bring likes it too.
Memphis is in Tennessee, which is a no tax state. It’s also very affordable – not just for real estate investors and residents, but for businesses too.
As the main U.S. hub for FedEx and conveniently located on the Mississippi River, Memphis is also a major distribution center. And while lots of manufacturing jobs have been sent offshore, when the finished goods come back to the U.S., many of them pass through Memphis. So those jobs aren’t going anywhere. Plus, lots of businesses pick Memphis just so that can be close to FedEx. After all, if you can take an order at night and still get it delivered the next day, that’s a big competitive edge.
Like many markets, Memphis is made of sub-markets. So getting to know the market and building a solid local team is important to uncovering those pockets of opportunity.
To help you in your quest for Memphis market knowledge, we’ve organized some resources below that we think you’ll find useful. And when you’ve soaked up all the knowledge you can from afar, come join us on one of our market field trips. We’ll grab a beer and take a walk down Beale Street!
- Finding Turnkey Rentals in Positive Cash-Flow Markets
- The Real Deal – Digging Beneath the Headlines to Exploit Opportunity
- Turnkey Rental Property Solutions for Busy Investors
- Finding the Right Market with the Right Jobs – an interview with the CEO of the Memphis Chamber of Commerce
Market Field Trips & Property Tours
Clues in The News
- U-Haul Reveals 2020 Migration Trends As Pandemic And Taxes Take Toll – January 9, 2021
- Here Are 2020’s Top Real Estate Markets: Affordable Alternatives to Megapricey Cities – December 12, 2019
- FedEx Express files $200 million building permit; here’s what’s planned at the Memphis hub – October 16, 2019
- Where Buyers Are Cashing In! The Top 10 U.S. Markets for Flipping – October 14, 2019
- The Pace of Job Growth Is Accelerating in … – March 16, 2019
- 20 Cities Where a $50,000 Salary Goes the Furthest – March 7, 2019
- Top 5 cities for Americans earning $50,000 – March 6, 2019
- The Best Markets For Real Estate Investments In 2019 – January 7, 2019
- Indigo Ag bringing 700 jobs to Downtown Memphis – December 13, 2018
- Best Places to Travel 2019: Memphis – November 30, 2018
- 25 Best Cities for Jobs 2018 – October 16, 2018
- Amazon wage increase could drive Memphis warehouse pay higher– October 3, 2018
- UTHSC Contributed $4 Billion to State’s Economy in 2017 – September 17, 2018
- St. Jude to develop $412 million research center to advance discovery – February 19, 2018
- FedEx commits $3.2 billion to raise pay, expand hubs after U.S. tax overhaul – January 26, 2018
- Live in Memphis – 2017
- Steimer Says: How Memphis real estate changed the most in 2017 – December 28, 2017
- 2017 was the year of the red-hot job market – December 28, 2017
- What You Didn’t Know: Memphis, TN’s Biosciences Industry is Booming – November 8, 2017
- Economy Watch: Office Vacancies Continue Slow Decline – October 17, 2017
- First-time homebuyer? These are the best and worst cities in the U.S. for you – September 4, 2017
- Housing Remains Strong – August 9, 2017
- Memphis’ largest private companies, ranked by revenue growth – August 3, 2017
- Fully Loaded: Industrial market sets tone, but all commercial sectors rising in Memphis MSA – July 29, 2017
- Secondary Markets Poised for Industrial Growth – July 10, 2017
- Millennials are buying houses, developers advised to keep up with demand – June 20, 2017
- Bold New Renaissance – May 8, 2017
- Target Corporation to Locate New Online Fulfillment Center in Memphis, TN – December 17, 2014
- Target Bringing 400-Job Project to Memphis – December 11, 2014
- UPS’ Memphis expansion will have lower cost, more jobs – June 25, 2014
- New Cordova call center to create 1000 jobs – January 22, 2014
- 20 Best Cities to Buy Rental Homes – April 4, 2013
- FedEx Express expands early delivery service into 8 more countries – August 14, 2012
- Q2 foreclosures up 5 percent – July 19, 2012
- Firms make investments in Memphis distribution – July 10, 2012
- New Jersey LLC pays $6.7 million for Southeast Memphis apartments – June 27, 2012