Houston Metro Market
The Lone Star State is known for cowboys and sprawling metro areas,
business-friendly regulations and welcoming folks with country drawls.
Houston represents the best Texas has to offer.
Houston is huge.
Not just in area … though it spans over 10,000 square miles. Not just in population … though with six million people and growing, this city is primed to become the third largest city in the United States. Not just in industry … though Houston is home to America’s largest gas and oil industries and a major player in the medical, tech, shipping, and retail industries.
Houston is a HUGE market for real estate, with home sales and inventory continuing to increase.
In 2017, Hurricane Harvey hit with a vengeance, causing swaths of destruction across the city. But Houston has proved to be resilient to natural disasters. The city rebuilt quickly, and mere months after the storm, both home prices and home sales were up over the year before.
The city is also resilient to economic downturn … home prices recovered to pre-recession value by 2014, compared to markets like Phoenix, which in 2017 are still rebounding.
Houston excels in many major areas:
- Infrastructure. Boasting the George Bush Intercontinental Airport, four major interstate highways, and an innovative development plan, Houston is poised for further growth.
- Industry. Houston is known for its role in the gas and oil industries, but that’s not all it has to offer. The city is home to many growing sectors, including aviation, manufacturing and technology, medical and biotechnology, shipping and distribution, and clean energy. More than 20 Fortune 500 companies call the city home.
- Jobs. The city has shown remarkable job growth in many key industries, including professional and business services, health and education services, manufacturing, and clean energy. The lack of state income tax only serves to draw in more new workers.
- Educational institutions. Houston is the proud home of four state universities, with 60+ colleges and trade schools total.
- Medical and research facilities. The Texas Medical Center is the largest life sciences destination in the world. The city is also home to the Texas Children’s Hospital, the No. 4 children’s hospital in the nation, as well as dozens of other major medical institutions.
- Culture. Houston’s cultural and arts events draw 9.2 million visitors each year. Houston alone has more than 500 museums and institutions devoted to the performing and visual arts, science, and history. The Houston Zoo is the No. 1 attraction in the city.
- Green space. Among the top 10 most populous cities in the U.S., Houston ranks first for park acreage. It offers more than 300 miles of bike trails and is one of the nation’s greenest cities.
- Neighborhoods. Houston has dozens of distinct neighborhoods, including its bustling downtown, museum and medical districts, and the retail-packed Galleria and uptown areas. The city offers both shiny A-class buildings and a wealth of affordable and stable B-class housing and retail spaces.
- Affordability. Houston ranks first in the nation for cities where the average resident’s paycheck will stretch the furthest.
With its resilient economy and infrastructure, Houston shows no signs of stopping. This market is likely to continue to be a major center of growth for years to come.
- The Role of Investors in Bouncing Back from Disaster
- Market Spotlight – Three Metros Attracting Attention Now
Reports & Articles
Market Field Trips & Property Tours
- Coming Soon!
- Fourplex Investment Group – 2-4 Unit Properties
Clues in The News
- Houston Multifamily Market Report – Third Quarter 2019
- Houston economy accelerates with strong job growth – May 2, 2019
- The Pace of Job Growth Is Accelerating in … – March 16, 2019
- Forecaster: Houston economy has recovered from downturn – November 6, 2018
- Houston’s housing market recorded strongest year ever in 2017, despite Hurricane Harvey – January 10, 2018
- Houston is tackling the threat of destructive hurricanes and flooding – November 21, 2017
- Houston apartment rents rebound – November 21, 2017
- Texas unemployment rate falls to record low – November 17, 2017
- Houston economy rebounds from Harvey; state jobless rate hits record low – November 17, 2017
- Houston among top global cities to raise a family – November 15, 2017
- A vision for downtown Houston has start-up culture, street life and a big green loop – November 14, 2017
- Houston unveils post-Harvey downtown master plan – November 13, 2017
- Houston housing market continues to show strong recovery through October – November 9, 2017
- Houston home sales and leases up, inventory constrained post-Harvey – November 8, 2017
- Real Estate Investors Rush To Buy Houston Homes Damaged By Flooding – November 8, 2017
- Houston could add 70,000 jobs next year, forecast says – November 6, 2017
- E-commerce growth has warehouse builders working on spec – October 30, 2017
- Houston’s Unsinkable Housing Market Undaunted by Storm – September 12, 2017
- With Its Economic Heft, Houston Is Equipped to Recover From Harvey – August 30, 2017
- Suburbs of Houston and Dallas top list of fastest-growing cities in U.S. – May 25, 2017