With only a few exceptions, we tend to like mega markets over tiny towns. We just think there’s a lot to be said for critical mass. That’s why we like Atlanta.
With a huge population base of well over 5 million people, the Atlanta MSA (Metropolitan Statistical Area) is among the USA’s top ten. Lots of people means political clout, a big tax base to maintain and improve infrastructure, and a big labor pool to attract employers. All very good things.
Atlanta also boasts the nation’s busiest airport and is strategically located as the informal business capital of the Southeast. Like Memphis and Dallas, Atlanta is a major distribution hub for both people and packages. That means outside money coming in and lots of exposure.
As a big metro, all of the lifestyle amenities people could want are there. And with a great higher educational system, Atlanta attracts people from all over the U.S., many of whom become permanent residents. When you toss location, climate, infrastructure, labor pool, lifestyle and educational system into a blender, you get a recipe that attracts people and businesses.
But what’s really amazing is that (at least for now), investors are reporting they’re picking up good quality residential properties in nice neighborhoods for well below replacement costs. And with today’s low interest rates and strong rental market, that means solid cash flows. More exciting, is that if Atlanta rebounds as many project, there’s lot of equity that will happen over the next 10-20 years.
Of course, no one can predict the future. But we think Atlanta is a market worth monitoring. We’d love to have you join us on an educational field trip. Until then, we’ve organized some resources we think you’ll find useful.
- Market Spotlight – Exploring Atlanta Georgia
- Dark Shadows – Are Lurking Foreclosures Sucking the Blood Out of Recovery?
- Something to Appreciate – Equity is Happening (Again) in Some Major Metros
Reports & Articles
- Metro Atlanta to add 76,300 jobs this year – March 11, 2015
- Atlanta residential plans you should be watching – December 17, 2014
- Georgia is CNBC’s Top State for Business in 2014 – June 24, 2014
- Atlanta home prices rising at slower rate – June 24, 2014
- Metro Atlanta’s economy bigger than Iran’s – June 23, 2014
- Atlanta commercial real estate market sees more steady improvement – June 17, 2014
- Homes.com ranks Atlanta the BEST city for college grads to find a job – June 6, 2014
- Atlanta’s economy looking bright – May 29, 2014
- Atlanta’s apartment market is heating up – May 24, 2014
- PNC bullish on future of Atlanta’s economy – May 15. 2014
- Recovering Georgia economy won’t heal all needs – May 12, 2014
- Atlanta’s growth sustains apartment demand – March 28, 2014
- Land prices around Atlanta Beltline project at pre-recession levels – March 20, 2014
- Atlanta tops Bankrate.com’s list of 5 best markets for Q4 2013
- Atlanta #1 in Penske’s annual Top Moving Destinations Report – January 22, 2014
- Home price increases continue in Atlanta – January 7th, 2014
- Georgia economy to rise more than the national average in 2014 – December 13th, 2013
- UGA forecasts Georgia’s economy to outpace US – December 11, 2013
- Georgia has No. 1 biz climate – November 4, 2013
- Atlanta home prices up 19% in Q1 – August 1, 2013
- Babies fuel metro Atlanta growth – August 20, 2012
- Housing market show positive signs in Atlanta – August 13, 2012
- Online sales spur Home Depot building in Atlanta – August 2, 2012
- Home prices in metro Atlanta climb – July 31, 2012
- MAA on ATL Acquisition Spree – July 25, 2012
- Georgia’s ports are shining stars in state’s economy – July 25, 2012
- Gwinnett continues to lead metro Atlanta with lowest unemployment – July 5, 2012
- Metro Atlanta Chamber unveils Forward Atlanta plan – June 25, 2012