Orlando Metro Market
Florida has long been a heralded go-to for tourists and RETIREES ...
who happen to be BOOMING! But who else?
When it comes to choosing markets, you already know you are looking for DEMAND. .The demand we are talking about comes from lots of people who sleep under roofs. Florida boasts of over 20 million in population … It holds its own right up there with the largest states in the nation. The Orlando Metropolitan Statistical Area is the third largest metropolitan area in the state of Florida.
At risk of sounding like a broken record … Big markets mean lots of people, political clout, infrastructure and lifestyle amenities. Big also means economically diverse. All these things are important for long term stability.
What else drives demand for this sun-shine state?
We’re glad you asked! You’ll definitely want to read the latest Reports & Articles below, but here’s some of our thoughts to prime your thinking-pump …
Florida continues to be a prime target for the migrating 75 million Baby Boomers … talk about demand!
You already know retirees love warm weather. And Florida’s climate is probably going to continue to meet the “Sun Belt” criteria for the foreseeable future. The mass exodus of retirees to this sunshine state is far from over.
Who else is flocking to Florida? Well, who else would be in the Boomers wake? You guessed it, Millennials! No other Florida metro makes the top 10, but Orlando ranks among the highest metros for the largest share of the millennial population.
High JOB GROWTH and affordability attract this younger generation. According to Forbes, Orlando’s job growth for 2016 ranked No. 1 compared with 382 U.S. metropolitan areas … Orlando is one of the top 25 MSA’s currently (2016) experiencing the biggest economic surge.
Thumbs up for No State Income Tax! Unless you’ve got wind of something different, there seems to be no change here in the near future.
Florida has been touted as a Low-Cost of Living state. Housing is right up there as one of the biggest living expenses for most people. If someone retired by selling a home in New York and relocated to Florida, their housing budget goes a lot further. Ok. That’s interesting, but …
An even more important factor in assessing the cost-of-living is, not the market people are coming from, but the income of the locals. The Housing Affordability Index is one thing we like to look at when considering the sustainability of a markets growth. Is the market economy primarily fueled by foreign investments and out-of-state investors gambling on returns? Or is strong, local economic health supporting the property rental rates and values?
This index measures median household income relative to the income needed to purchase a median-priced house. The Orlando Metro’s affordability index in 2016 was 58% above the national average.
Orlando is EXCITING! We see a convergence of demographic demand, scarce supply, influx of out-of-state wealth, AND LOCAL economic stability. As a whole, because of the large number of people that tend to move in and out of the state, Florida’s housing market has historically been volatile … If you were watching Florida during the 2008 crash we don’t have to explain this to you.
As real estate investors though, we don’t buy whole states. We buy particular properties, in particular neighborhoods.
Imagine you could see strong monthly profits, take advantage of the trends in demand, and secure your cash flow with a diversified, stable tenant base.
The Orlando MSA from July 2014 – July 2015 has the fastest growing population of the country’s 30 largest regions according to the U.S. Census Bureau. Orlando, and it’s surrounding communities, power the Orlando economy with blue collar and service workers diversified outside of the tourist industry – these communities tend to hold their values, rental rates and occupancy.
Put your boots on the ground and come explore the market for yourself! In the meantime, here are some helpful resources we trust you’ll find useful as you dive into this exciting area …
Reports & Articles
Market Field Trips & Property Tours
- Coming Soon!
- Gillen & Associates – SFR’s, Multi-Family Properties
- The Grove Resort – Resort Properties
Clues in The News
- Where Buyers Are Cashing In! The Top 10 U.S. Markets for Flipping – October 14, 2019
- Where are Americans moving in Florida? – August 15, 2019
- Orlando International Airport announces new non-stop flight service to Munich – August 7, 2019
- Universal Orlando announces a new Florida theme park, Epic Universe – August 1, 2019
- Space Florida to get nearly $90M in federal funding for infrastructure – July 26, 2019
- Orlando Office Report – Spring 2019
- Apollo 11 moon mission drew space-related companies to Central Florida – July 9, 2019
- Florida’s economy is primed for growth, a new report suggests – July 6, 2019
- L3, Harris Technologies merger creates Florida’s largest aerospace, defense firm – July 1, 2019
- The best family resorts in the US – June 28, 2019
- Sunbelt States Primed for Multifamily Investment – June 20, 2019
- Full Steam Ahead: Virgin Trains Starts Construction On Orlando To South Florida Route – May 22, 2019
- Space Rockets Spark Property Boom on Florida Coast – May 21, 2019
- The comeback coast – May 16, 2019
- Lockheed, Northrop snare $1.2B of defense work for F-35s, Hellfire missiles, Advanced Hawkeye – May 2, 2019
- Fishkind Conversations: Making Sense Of What The Census Says About Central Florida’s Dollars And Cents – April 30, 2019
- Budget conference: Central Florida scores millions in ‘sprinkle’ wins – April 30, 2019
- Ocasio-Cortez’s mom moved to Florida to escape NYC’s property taxes – March 4, 2019
- Amazon coming to Daytona, local CEO confirms – April 25, 2019
- Orlando Continues Long-Standing Lead in Job Growth – April 22, 2019
- Orlando among the fastest growing cities in the U.S. – April 18, 2019
- A Close Look at the State of Affordable Housing in Orlando – April 11, 2019
- Orlando International Airport’s $41 Billion Economic Impact is The Highest In Florida – April 4, 2019
- Orlando area 2030: 5.2 million people, increased diversity, challenges – April 1, 2019
- Mostly sunny outlook for Florida real estate, economy – March 29, 2019
- The Pace of Job Growth Is Accelerating in … – March 16, 2019
- Real Job Growth In Orlando Is Not All Tourist-Oriented – February 14, 2019
- Orlando economy continues to boom, with immigration, jobs growth – January 14, 2019
- The Best Markets For Real Estate Investments In 2019 – January 7, 2019
- Lockheed Martin to Add 750 High-Wage Jobs in Orlando – November 16, 2018
- Orlando is No. 1 in a Category Besides Tourism – October 29, 2018
- Emerging Trends in Real Estate
- The State of Health Care Real Estate in Central Florida – December 9, 2016
- More than $600 million in improvements to Orange County Convention Center moving forward – September 28, 2018
- Multifamily Metro Outlook: Orlando – Summer 2018
- Metro Orlando leads state in job growth in August – September 21, 2018
- Humble brag: Orlando is hot spot for millennials to live, new study says – September 19, 2018
- It’s a perfect time to be a slumlord in Orlando – September 17, 2018
- The Best Cities To Own Rental Property In Florida – September 15, 2018
- 25 Best Markets For Rental Property Investment – September 14, 2018
- Tampa Bay leads Orlando and Jacksonville in apartment construction – September 12, 2018
- Best Housing Rental Investment Markets for 2018 – February 14, 2018
- Orlando named best city to invest in housing for 2018, Forbes says – February 13, 2018
- Lenders see diverse Orlando landscape – January 26, 2018
- Central Florida health systems continue construction, expansion – January 24, 2018
- Air BnB Hosts in Florida Earn $450 Million, Contribute to Florida’s Tourism – December 30, 2017
- Orlando International Airport hits 44 million passengers – December 19, 2017
- The Best U.S. Cities For Future Job Growth – October 25, 2017
- Economy Watch: Office Vacancies Continue Slow Decline – October 17, 2017
- Puerto Rico exodus to Central Florida could bring unprecedented change – October 6, 2017
- Millions to boost affordable housing needs in Orlando – October 5, 2017
- Hurricanes will disrupt U.S. economy, then likely lead to boost – September 11, 2017
- First-time homebuyer? These are the best and worst cities in the U.S. for you – September 4, 2017
- 7 Most Affordable Places for Home Buyers – September 1, 2017
- US weekly requests for jobless aid down 12,000 to 232,000 – August 17, 2017
- New Altamonte I-4 access draws growth – August 11, 2017
- Business-friendly policies put Florida economy in overdrive, governor says – August 10, 2017
- Orlando commits to 100 percent renewable energy citywide by 2050 – August 9, 2017
- The 10 Big U.S. Cities With the Fastest-Growing Economies – August 9, 2017
- Communities bank on mega youth sports complexes to boost economy – July 30, 2017
- With a ‘solid’ economy, Lake ranks fifth in state for investments – July 21, 2017
- Amazon to Build Mega Warehouse in Orlando – July 10, 2017
- Lake Mary sees rent spikes, report shows – June 26, 2017
- Lake County Economic Development launches Summer Tech campaign – June 21, 2017
- Northrop Grumman, Raytheon net contracts worth $95.2M with local work – June 16, 2017
- The best and worst places to start a career – Orlando is #2! – May 16, 2017
- Orlando among top cities for millennials – March 22, 2017
- Orlando ranked No. 2 fastest growing metro in 2017 by Forbes – March 15, 2017
- Orlando Market Statistics – February 2017
- Orlando real estate can post some of 2017’s hottest gains, reports say – January 6, 2017
- U.S. Affordability Index – Q4 2016
- Florida population continues to outdistance New York – December 21, 2016
- Housing forecast for 2017: Orlando among fastest-growing metros – November 30, 2016
- The Cost of Living in Florida – August 9, 2016
- Orlando’s mansions rank in top 10 of U.S. – May 5, 2016
- Where Are All The Boomers Moving? To These 44 Cities – January 25, 2014